Re: Change the name

From: Andy Astor <andy(dot)astor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Change the name
Date: 2007-09-15 11:20:29
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-de-allgemein

I¹ll just add a couple of quick comments:

1. Regarding the FAQ change, that¹s great. I¹m glad something¹s been done.
2. At some point way early on in this thread, Josh Berkus said the largest
community has already voted no. I don¹t understand that comment. As best as
I can tell, it¹s about 2-to-1 in favor of the change.
3. For what it¹s worth, I agree with Chris Travers that Core should make the
call. But I also accept that that¹s not how it works at this time. So be it.
4. I also agree with Markus below, when he says ³a slow migration away from
PostgreSQL is the only option, as this is an open source project, not a
centralized, well managed company.² I actually do believe that a slow
migration is appropriate for all concerned parties, since ‹ as Josh Drake
points out ‹ there¹s a ton of other stuff to do.
5. Now that Postgres is an officially acceptable substitute, EnterpriseDB
will begin migrating its terminology to ³Postgres² when referring to the
world¹s most advanced open source database project.

Andy