Re: dump from 8.x restore to 7.3.x

From: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)007marketing(dot)com>, Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>, eddy(at)axa(dot)it
Subject: Re: dump from 8.x restore to 7.3.x
Date: 2006-12-04 22:25:06
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Nov 30, 2006, at 5:52 AM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Shane Ambler wrote:
>> I don't see that as being the case - there will be exceptions where
>> you have new features in an 8.x database that won't work in a 7.x db
>> but otherwise it shouldn't matter, the dumps can be used to import
>> into other databases than postgres as long as you use dump with
>> inserts instead of copy and use common datatypes.
>
> Restoring dumps from new versions into old versions doesn't work
> (without a lot of manual work). Example cases:

On the other hand, dumping a newer version database with an older
version of *pg_dump* is much more likely to succeed. It's not a
guarantee, but it should get you pretty close. And as someone else
mentioned, doing a plain text dump is probably your best bet in this
case.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net