Re: Restore database from files (not dump files)?

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com>
To: wheel <wheel(at)wheel(dot)not>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Restore database from files (not dump files)?
Date: 2006-12-08 03:46:23
Lists: pgsql-general

>>> Yes I have the entire dir/file set. But what does "If so, just restore
>>> the directory start it up a binary" mean? Restore the dir, you mean copy
>>> it to it's location under \base? What does start it up a(s?) binary
>>> mean? I'm new to postgres.
>>>
>>> I have copied the folders back to the base dir (like C:\PostgreSQL\data
>>> \base\16404) if that's step one but what after that?

OK, one more try:

- Stop postgres.

- Restore the ***ENTIRE*** ***data*** directory tree. Not "base", not
something else "to it's location under \base". The entire data directory
tree, just like the helpful message said.

- Start postgres.

Now, if you did that, and the raw files were from the same OS & architecture
& postgres build settings, everything is fine. Otherwise, you're out of
luck.

> I see...I'm using pgAdmin III with 8.1.5, and the dbs don't reappear in
> the pgAdmin list of databases automatically.

I doubt that.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com