Re: Best COPY Performance

From: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Markus Schaber" <schabi(at)logix-tt(dot)com>, "Worky Workerson" <worky(dot)workerson(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best COPY Performance
Date: 2006-10-23 15:11:00
Lists: pgsql-performance

Markus,

On 10/23/06 2:27 AM, "Markus Schaber" <schabi(at)logix-tt(dot)com> wrote:

> On a table with no indices, triggers and contstraints, we managed to
> COPY about 7-8 megabytes/second with psql over our 100 MBit network, so
> here the network was the bottleneck.

We routinely get 10-12MB/s on I/O hardware that can sustain a sequential
write rate of 60+ MB/s with the WAL and data on the same disks.

It depends on a few things you might not consider, including the number and
type of columns in the table and the client and server encoding. The
fastest results are with more columns in a table and when the client and
server encoding are the same.

- Luke