Re: Asynchronous I/O Support

From: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, "Raja Agrawal" <raja(dot)agrawal(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Asynchronous I/O Support
Date: 2006-10-15 18:11:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Martijn,

On 10/15/06 10:56 AM, "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org> wrote:

> Have enough systems actually got to the point of actually supporting
> async I/O that it's worth implementing?

I think there are enough high end applications / systems that need it at
this point.

The killer use-case we've identified is for the scattered I/O associated
with index + heap scans in Postgres. If we can issue ~5-15 I/Os in advance
when the TIDs are widely separated it has the potential to increase the I/O
speed by the number of disks in the tablespace being scanned. At this
point, that pattern will only use one disk.

- Luke