Re: italian translation update and a few

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Giuseppe Sacco <giuseppe(at)eppesuigoccas(dot)homedns(dot)org>, <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: italian translation update and a few
Date: 2006-08-15 20:54:26
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On 14/8/06 10:58, "Giuseppe Sacco" <giuseppe(at)eppesuigoccas(dot)homedns(dot)org>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I am updating the italian translation of pgAdminIII,

Cool, thanks - you do realise though that the templates are likely to be
updated for 1.6 in a couple of weeks so the amount of work is certainly more
than it currently appears?

> but I found a few
> sentences that I do not understand. Would you please explain what are
> their meanings?

I'll try.

> ANALYZE base threshold
> ANALYZE scale factor

Difficult to explain - probably best to look at the docs:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/maintenance.html#AUTOVACUUM

> Acks outstanding

Number of acknowledgements not yet received.

> Could not open the message source registry key.

Couldn't open the registry key containing the message source.

> Could not set the event message file registry value.

Could not set the registry key value with the event message filename.

> Covering index

The index appropriate for a given query or column (not so sure without
knowing the context).

> Do instead

An action to take instead of the original query. The RULEs system allows you
to specify an action to take instead or as well as the action the user
requested.

> Heap Blocks Hit

Number of heap (data) blocks read from the cache.

> Histogram Bounds

The upper and lower bounds used in a histogram.

> Index Blocks Hit

The number of index blocks read from the cache rather than disk.

> Left Table Columns

Not sure - where is it?

> Link symbol

The name of a symbol (function, variable or whatever) as exposed by the
linker.

> Security of definer

In the context of a function, means that if true the function will execute
with the privileges of the function creator/owner, rather than the runtime
user.

> Set by test

Not sure - where is it>

> Toast Blocks Hit

Number of toasted data blocks read from the cache (TOAST data is oversized
text/bytea type data that is stored automatically in 'companion' tables.

> Unexpected empty cache line: dataSet already closed.

An error message that occurs if a data row in a cache is found to be empty
when it was expected not to be, because the cached dataset has been closed.

> VACUUM base threshold
> VACUUM cost delay

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/maintenance.html#AUTOVACUUM

> Can forward

Not sure - where is it?

> Group Role

A role designed to contain login roles. Basically an old style GROUP.

> And, why should "WITH ADMIN OPTION" be translated if it is SQL language?

It's probably used on a dialog in which case there is no easy way to specify
that it's a non-translatable string. Please just copy'n'paste the current
text.

> Moreover, there are a few sentences for translators, like:
>
> #: src/frm/frmMain.cpp:724
> msgid ""
> "Translator attention: must match backend translation!no pg_hba.conf
> entry for"
> msgstr ""
>
> How should these sentences translated? Should I remove the first part
> and look for the translation of "no pg_hba.conf entry for" in the
> postgresql po file?

If I remember correctly it doesn't matter, however the German translation
removes it, and that was done by the same guy that wrote the original code:

#: src/frm/frmMain.cpp:724
msgid "Translator attention: must match backend translation!no pg_hba.conf
entry for"
msgstr "kein pg_hba.conf-Eintrag für Host"

> Last question: are "Server" and "Backend" used for the same object?

Yes and no. Server always refers to the physical server or PostgreSQL
instance, whilst backend may refer to the PostgreSQL instance or the backend
process handling a particular connection.

HTH.

Regards, Dave