Re: Postgresql Performance on an HP DL385 and

From: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Michael Stone" <mstone+postgres(at)mathom(dot)us>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql Performance on an HP DL385 and
Date: 2006-08-10 15:15:38
Lists: pgsql-performance

Mike,

On 8/10/06 4:09 AM, "Michael Stone" <mstone+postgres(at)mathom(dot)us> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 08:29:13PM -0700, Steve Poe wrote:
>> I tried as you suggested and my performance dropped by 50%. I went from
>> a 32 TPS to 16. Oh well.
>
> If you put data & xlog on the same array, put them on seperate
> partitions, probably formatted differently (ext2 on xlog).

If he's doing the same thing on both systems (Sun and HP) and the HP
performance is dramatically worse despite using more disks and having faster
CPUs and more RAM, ISTM the problem isn't the configuration.

Add to this the fact that the Sun machine is CPU bound while the HP is I/O
wait bound and I think the problem is the disk hardware or the driver
therein.

- Luke