Re: Performances with new Intel Core* processors

From: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Vivek Khera" <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>, "Pgsql-Performance ((E-mail))" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performances with new Intel Core* processors
Date: 2006-08-01 04:26:57
Lists: pgsql-performance

Vivek,

On 7/31/06 2:04 PM, "Vivek Khera" <vivek(at)khera(dot)org> wrote:

> No, but it *does* matter how fast said processor can sling the memory
> around, and in my experience, the opterons have been much better at
> that due to the efficiency of the memory transport layer.

My Mac laptop with a Core 1 and DDR2 RAM does 2700 MB/s memory bandwidth.
The Core 2 also has lower memory latency than the Opteron.

That said - Intel still hasn't figured out how to do cache-coherent SMP
scaling yet - the Opteron has the outstanding EV6/HTX bus and the cc-numa
cache coherency logic working today.

- Luke