Re: Bugs created by new UI / Introduction of

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bugs created by new UI / Introduction of
Date: 2006-07-05 21:19:19
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On 5/7/06 16:57, "Florian G. Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I tried my nightly build of trunk on OSX now, and noticed the following
> bugs and problems
> .) When I remove the "Object Browser" pane by clickng the little "x",
> I found now way to get that pane to display again. The corresponding
> entry in the view-menu is still checked, and even unchecking and
> checking it doesn't bring the pane back. The only way to restore is
> was to close pgadmin3, manually edit the preferences file, and reopen
> pgadmin3 :-(

Fixed. Typo caused that.

> .) The toolbar looks ugly now, because the "used" and "unused" parts
> of the toolbar ("used" meaning "actually containing icons", while
> "unused" means "the space spanning from the rightmost icon to the
> right edge of the window) have different backgrounds.

I'm sure that can be tweaked. Will look into it.

> .) The "connection-chooser-dropdown" doesn't fit into the toobar
> anymore (See screenshots)

Yeah - looks like a Mac specific sizing issue. Will investigate.

> .) The detach-able toolbar show the same problems as the panes
> in the main window - if you remove then the menu entry stays
> checked. Unchecking and checking, however, at least makes them
> reappear.

That one I was aware of. Closing undocked windows doesn't currently raise
the appropriate event so pgAdmin doesn't see that it's gone. I need to look
at wxAUI for that one.

> .) Disabling an reenabling panes is broken for most cases. An example:
> 1) Disable results pane
> 2) Disable messages pane
> 3) Reenable both
> 4) Now the are displayed on top of each other, which no way to
> restore the default split-screen configuration.

I cannot reproduce that. I'm running wx 2.6.3 and waAUI 0.9.2 on OSX 10.4.7

> .) The default split-screen configuration of the sql-window feels
> like waste of precious screen real estate. On my 1024x786
> laptop screen even the titlebars of the panes feel like
> waste of space.

It looks a little crowded on my 12" Powerbook, but then it always did - the
OSX controls can be quite chunky. I think what makes it worse is that the
results are shown in the wxGrid control which is less space-efficient than
the old wxListView.

> All in all, at least on OSX and with a rather small screen, using
> the new version is a lot more painfull than using the old one.
>
> Is there a chance that there could be at least a compile-time switch
> to disable the new ui?

Hmm, one could probably be retro-fitted, but given that this is dev code I'm
far more interested in fixing the platform specific bugs first.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards, Dave.

PS. I'm at the conference for the next week or so so don't know when I'll
get to this...