Re: [GENERAL] Concurrency problem building indexes

From: Wes <wespvp(at)syntegra(dot)com>
To: Zeugswetter Andreas DCP SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Concurrency problem building indexes
Date: 2006-04-25 13:32:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 4/25/06 2:18 AM, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> So invent some made-up data. I'd be seriously surprised if this
> behavior has anything to do with the precise data being indexed.
> Experiment around till you've got something you don't mind posting
> that exhibits the behavior you see.

My initial attempts last night at duplicating it with a small result set
were not successful. I'll see what I can do.

On 4/25/06 3:25 AM, "Zeugswetter Andreas DCP SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
wrote:

> Wes, you could most likely solve your immediate problem if you did an
> analyze before
> creating the indexes.

I can try that. Is that going to be a reasonable thing to do when there's
100 million rows per table? I obviously want to minimize the number of
sequential passes through the database.

Wes