Concurrency problem building indexes

From: Wes <wespvp(at)syntegra(dot)com>
To: pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Concurrency problem building indexes
Date: 2006-04-23 14:06:59
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Postgres: 8.1.3
OS: Mac OS X 10.4.6

I've run into another concurrency issue - parallel building of indexes.
When I try to build multiple indexes at a time, I randomly get:

ERROR: tuple concurrently updated

The following thread talks about this, but there is no answer.

<http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-07/msg00969.php>

How can I safely build indexes in parallel?

At this point, I'm only trying to build two at a time. I will be building
indexes for tables with any where from a few rows to 100 million rows on a
daily basis - I need to maximize performance.

Wes