Where is client/server compatibility documented?

From: Wes <wespvp(at)syntegra(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Where is client/server compatibility documented?
Date: 2006-04-13 20:06:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Where can I find documentation on what client library version interoperate
with which server versions? I've been unable to find anything in the manual
or archives. The only thing I've found is some information in the archives
on certain psql versions. Is there a compatibility matrix somewhere for the
client libraries?

Specifically, I have a C application (ecpg/libpq), as well as perl DBI,
built against PostgreSQL 7.4.1. Am I safe in upgrading the server to 8.1.3
before the application can be rebuilt? I've seen no problems on the test
server, but...

There's no system catalog monkey business - just plain old SQL.

Wes