Re: pgAgent problems

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Benjamin Krajmalnik <kraj(at)illumen(dot)com>, <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAgent problems
Date: 2006-04-05 20:00:46
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 5/4/06 19:18, "Benjamin Krajmalnik" <kraj(at)illumen(dot)com> wrote:

> I am having problems with pgAgent.
> I installed the seervice with the following command:
>
> C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.1\bin>"C:\Program
> Files\PostgreSQL\8.1\bin\pgAgent" INSTALL pgAgent -u postgres -p postgres -t
> 60 hostaddr=127.0.0.1 dbname=postgres user=postgres
>
> In the services, the path to executable is set as follows:
>
> C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.1\bin\pgAgent RUN pgAgent -t 60
> hostaddr=127.0.0.1 dbname=postgres user=postgres
>
> The directory where pgAgent is located is not on the path.
>
> I scheduled a job - everything looks correct.
> The job shows up as scheduled for the next execution time.
> I checked the pgagent schema in the postgres database (which is the one
> specified in the connection), and I see the job, steps, etc.
>
> The information for the job is as follows:
> Name: ishield - calculate control limits
> ID: 2
> Enabled: yes
> Host Agent: left blank
> Job Class: Data Summarisation
> Created: 4/5/2006 10:06:26 AM
> Changed: 4/5/2006 10:06:26 AM
> Next run: 4/5/2006 12:00:00 PM
> Last Run: blank
> Last result: unknown
> Running at: Not Currently Running
> Comment:
>
> This job should have run at 12. It is already past the scheduled time and the
> job has not run.
> Any suggestions will be deeply appreciated.
> The windows event log shows the service as having started successfully, but I
> see no additional logging.

If you reinstall the service with ­l 2 as an extra option, then schedule a
new job there should be a load of extra debug data in the event log to tell
us what¹s going wrong.

One thing that does spring to mind is that you didn¹t mention how the agent
authenticates to the database ­ have you setup a pgpass.conf file in your
postgres user¹s %APPDATA% directory, or granted trusted access in
pg_hba.conf?

Regards, Dave.