Re: Libpq and PGConn

From: Keary Suska <hierophant(at)pcisys(dot)net>
To: Postgres-Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Libpq and PGConn
Date: 2006-03-29 21:18:46
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

on 3/29/06 10:15 AM, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us purportedly said:

> Keary Suska <hierophant(at)pcisys(dot)net> writes:
>> What happens if a null pointer is sent to any libpq function for the PGConn
>> parameter?
>
> AFAIR they all check for that and fail in a reasonably clean fashion.
> Have you found one that doesn't?

Not as of yet. I am building a custom wrapper to libpq and trying to account
for situations such as an attempt to call a libpq function on a PGconn
object that has not been initialized, such as returned from PQconnectdb and
the like. Same goes for PGresult objects.

Is it safe to assume that in these cases--where a PGconn or Pgresult has not
been initialized, but has not been finished() either--that all functions
won't (or shouldn't) choke, will set an error message, and return a defined
value?

Thanks,

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.