Re: removing tsearch2

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)berkus(dot)org>, Cynthia Shang <cynthia(dot)shang(at)crunchydata(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Vladimir Rusinov <vrusinov(at)google(dot)com>, Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Subject: Re: removing tsearch2
Date: 2017-02-14 17:48:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Feb 14, 2017, at 9:37 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:

> It's a failing in one of the two at least. It either needs to be easier to build the things on windows, or pgxn would need to learn to do binary distributions.

PGXN makes no effort to support installation on any platform at all. Happy to work with anyone who wants to add binary distribution, but supporting multiple platforms might be a PITA. Maybe there’d be a way to integrate with the RPM and .deb and Windows repos (is there something like that for Windows?).

> Even if we get the building easier on windows, it'll likely remain a second class citizen (though better than today's third class), given the amount of windows machines that actually have a compiler on them for start. Pgxs in Windows would be a big improvement, but it won't solve the problem.

Yep.

David