Re: Huge Data sets, simple queries

From: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Jeffrey W(dot) Baker" <jwbaker(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Huge Data sets, simple queries
Date: 2006-02-01 05:53:06
Lists: pgsql-performance

Jeffrey,

On 1/31/06 8:09 PM, "Jeffrey W. Baker" <jwbaker(at)acm(dot)org> wrote:
>> ... Prove it.
> I think I've proved my point. Software RAID1 read balancing provides
> 0%, 300%, 100%, and 100% speedup on 1, 2, 4, and 8 threads,
> respectively. In the presence of random I/O, the results are even
> better.
> Anyone who thinks they have a single-threaded workload has not yet
> encountered the autovacuum daemon.

Good data - interesting case. I presume from your results that you had to
make the I/Os non-overlapping (the "skip" option to dd) in order to get the
concurrent access to work. Why the particular choice of offset - 3.2GB in
this case?

So - the bandwidth doubles in specific circumstances under concurrent
workloads - not relevant to "Huge Data sets, simple queries", but possibly
helpful for certain kinds of OLTP applications.

- Luke