Truncate and delete adds wal logs for slave to process.

From: Chris Barnes <compuguruchrisbarnes(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: Postgres General Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Truncate and delete adds wal logs for slave to process.
Date: 2010-02-11 17:47:23
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a question regaring delete & truncate versus a drop of the tables and recreating it.

We have a database that gets recreated each week that is 31 GB in size.

The way that it is currently being done is to truncate all of the tables.

I would like to confirm.

Because both truncate and delete, I would think that this action would be put into the pg_log as a log file that can be rolled back. And, when complete, it would be shipped to the standby to be processed?

To reduce this logging, shipping and processing would it be smarter to have the tables dropped and recreated?