Re: BUG #5055: Invalid page header error

From: postgres bee <postgres_bee(at)live(dot)com>
To: <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5055: Invalid page header error
Date: 2009-09-15 21:11:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Was there any particular event that marked the onset of these issues?
> Anything in the system logs (dmesg / syslog etc) around that time?

Unfortunately, cannot recall anything abnormal.

> Was Pg forcibly killed and restarted, or the machine hard-reset? (This
> _shouldn't_ cause data corruption, but might give some starting point
> for looking for a bug).
It is a normal pg shutdown followed by a reboot.

> *** DID YOU TAKE COPIES OF YOUR DATA FILES BEFORE "FIXING" THEM *** ?
No. Should have taken a backup on hindsight. At that time, the primary motivation was to get over the hump and have the query result succssfully.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought one of the, if not the most, primary tasks for relational databases is to ensure that no data loss ever occurs. Which is why I was initially surprised that the issue did not get enough importnace. But now it seems more like the community not knowing what triggered the issue i.e. not knowing which component to fix.

But I do have one overriding question - since postgres is still running on the same hardware, wouldn't it rule out hardware as the primary suspect?

Ready for Fall shows? Use Bing to find helpful ratings and reviews on digital tv's.
http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=digital+tv's&form=MSHNCB&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_MSHNCB_Vertical_Shopping_DigitalTVs_1x1