Re: Recommend dba maintenance tasks on a regular bases

From: Fabricio <fabrixio1(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Recommend dba maintenance tasks on a regular bases
Date: 2008-09-12 18:51:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

The help of reindex say:

Also, for B-tree indexes a freshly-constructed index is somewhat faster to access than one that has been updated many times, because logically adjacent pages are usually also physically adjacent in a newly built index. (This consideration does not currently apply to non-B-tree indexes.) It might be worthwhile to reindex periodically just to improve access speed.
I have a reindex of my databases periodically
Sorry for the English translation of google I have PostgreSQL 8.1.x The databases that we have has many updates and were being slow, revising found that some index were bigger than it should be, did not agree to the size of the table. I made a reindex of the table and consultation is his much faster and the index remained very small. We therefore began a scheduled task that reidex my batadase periodically.