Sequence names have 64 character limit?

From: Carlo Stonebanks <carlo(at)stonebanks(dot)ca>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Sequence names have 64 character limit?
Date: 2011-03-31 17:18:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Whenever I attempt to create a sequence whether this is done directly via
CREATE SEQUENCE or indrirectly vial declaring a column as SERIAL, PG
truncates it to 64 characters. Is this a documented limitation? I can't find
a reference to it. Is it possible to change this limitation?

Our table names are and fully descriptive, and our code depends on a
predictable sequence naming convention of the PG default

Yes, I know that it's not a great idea to depend on consistent naming
conventions!

Carlo