Re: About tapes

From: "mac_man2005(at)hotmail(dot)it" <mac_man2005(at)hotmail(dot)it>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: About tapes
Date: 2010-06-21 00:39:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert, so in my example:
- tapes are stored in different files (one tape per file)
- you confirm those first blocks are garbage
- you confirm they could be rewritten with new data

This means that we can do recycle space using one tape per file. Correct?

So, in this case, why do we need to use logical tapesets?
In other words, why Tom affirmed it was impossible to recycle space
implementing one tape per file?