Re: Review: Fix snapshot taking inconsistencies

From: Steve Singer <ssinger_pg(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(dot)tiikkaja(at)cs(dot)helsinki(dot)fi>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Review: Fix snapshot taking inconsistencies
Date: 2010-10-07 02:21:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010, Marko Tiikkaja wrote:

> the patch does, modules start behaving weirdly. So what I'm suggesting is:
>
> - Deprecate pg_parse_and_rewrite(). I have no idea how the project
> has done this in the past, but grepping the source code for
> "deprecated" suggests that we just remove the function.
>
> - Introduce a new function, specifically designed for SQL functions.
> Both callers of pg_parse_and_rewrite (init_sql_fcache and
> fmgr_sql_validator) call check_sql_fn_retval after
> pg_parse_and_rewrite so I think we could merge those into the new
> function.
>
> Does anyone have any concerns about this? Better ideas?

The only comment I've seen on this was from Tom and his only concern was
that old code wouldn't be able to compile against a new version of the
function. What you propose (delete pg_parse_and_rewrite) and replacing it
with a function of the new name sounds fine.

Since no one else has proposed a better idea and the commit fest is ticking
away I think you should go ahead and do that.

> Regards,
> Marko Tiikkaja

Steve