Re: Website

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Miha Radej <miha(dot)radej(at)siix(dot)com>
Cc: PgAdmin Hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Website
Date: 2006-01-13 22:20:32
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On 13/1/06 17:41, "Miha Radej" <miha(dot)radej(at)siix(dot)com> wrote:

> hi!
>
> just a few quickies:
>
> http://wwwdevel.pgadmin.org/download/
> "we recommand installing binary packages": recommand -> recommand
> "additional language translations and admin packas": packas -> packs

Fixed.

> http://wwwdevel.pgadmin.org/download/snapshots.php
> "they are 'works in progress'": missing period at the end of the sentence

Fixed.

> http://wwwdevel.pgadmin.org/download/source.php
> "omit all \'Universal" and "DLL" builds": \' should probably be ", at
> \'Universal"?

Fixed.

> at mac osx build instructions: "../configure --with-mac" should probably
> begin with only 1 dot instead of 2, "./configure --with-mac"

Fixed.

> http://wwwdevel.pgadmin.org/index.php
> "may be used on Linux, FreeBSD Solaris, Mac OSX": missing comma after
> freebsd
> "No external drivers are to communicate with the database server.": no
> external drivers are needed?

Changed to "No additional drivers are required to communicate with the
database server."

> http://wwwdevel.pgadmin.org/features.php
> "Powerful query tool with color syntax highlight": i'm really not sure
> about this one, but shouldn't this end with "highlighting"?

Fixed.

> http://wwwdevel.pgadmin.org/contribute.php
> "for the benefit of out worldwide": out -> our

Fixed.

> http://wwwdevel.pgadmin.org/advocacy/
> "and bug fixes and helping improve pgAdmin": helping -> help
> "some of these companies have": some -> Some (start of sentence)

Fixed.

> http://wwwdevel.pgadmin.org/advocacy/information.php
> "just click on your country flag": aren't the country flags gone? :)
> "when pgAdmin new versions are released": perhaps "when new versions of
> pgAdmin are released"

Ah yes - there was no room for any more, so I changed to a select list
before it became a problem! Fixed.

> http://wwwdevel.pgadmin.org/development/
> "get involved in the project you you wish": i really have no idea what
> to suggest :) maybe "as you wish", "if you wish"?

"if you wish". Fixed.

> http://wwwdevel.pgadmin.org/development/svn.php
> "please source the Source code build instructions": source -> check ||
> view || see

Fixed.

> http://wwwdevel.pgadmin.org/development/changelog.php
> "changes to pgAdmin3, as present in svn": is this text extracted from
> svn already? if not, according to the advocacy page pgAdmin3 should
> probably be "pgAdmin III" and svn written in uppercase, as is elsewhere
> on the site.

Yeah, that's from the SVN bit. I'll update the source and resync the test
sites source trees (that'll be automatic when it's live).

> http://wwwdevel.pgadmin.org/screenshots/ui.php
> "with colour syntax highlight": same question as above. also, i've
> noticed that in the above note, on the features page, the word "color"
> is used whereas here it is "colour". it is a sort of a mix between us
> and british english :) words like "color/colour", "dialog/dialogue",
> "realize/realise", "analyze/analyse", "favorite/favourite" are some
> potential problem makers that come to mind atm.

Fixed, and I'm in the process of making sure speelings are consistent :)

> http://wwwdevel.pgadmin.org/screenshots/data.php
> "EXPLAIN and/or ANALYSE": postgresql uses "ANALYZE", see above note
> "You will soon realise that": see above note re us/british english

Fixed (the former - I'm English so the latter is already right!)

> http://wwwdevel.pgadmin.org/screenshots/mb_i18n.php
> "other multi-byte charactersets": charactersets -> character sets?
> "and partially translated into more than 25 more": kill a more :)

Changed to: "another 25 more"

> http://wwwdevel.pgadmin.org/screenshots/serverstatus.php
> "along with summaries of crrent locks": crrent -> current

Fixed.

> http://wwwdevel.pgadmin.org/support/
> "help out whereever possible": whereever ... dictionary.com suggests
> "wherever" or "where ever"

Fixed.

> http://wwwdevel.pgadmin.org/translation/howto.php
> "Browser to the translation status page": Browser -> Browse

Fixed.

> "The language template serves as empty template": as an empty... ?

Changed to: "the pgadmin3.pot file serves as an empty template"

> "and set the harset": harset -> charset

Fixed.

> "important step because somes strings": somes -> some

Fixed.

> "HTML files used by the Guru to notify users": Guru -> Guru Hints? or is
> this referring to the mr.-bearded-guru-guy who offers the hints? in this
> case, what is his name? does he have one or is he just a guru? or is he
> The Guru? :)

Mr.-bearded-guru-guy, who shall be hereafter known as Arthur. A beer
sometime for whoever guesses where that comes from!

> done. but this was just a quick read-through.

Seems pretty through to me, thanks heaps :-)

> also, a feature request if i may :) i really like the "display: block"
> property in the current left-hand menu. can this please be used in the
> new layout as well?

Sorry, I gon't get what you mean. Block puts a break between elements so
they flow one below the other, which is already the case for the side menu.

Do you mean the background colour change on a:hover?

Regards, Dave.