Re: SAN/NAS options

From: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Charles Sprickman" <spork(at)bway(dot)net>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SAN/NAS options
Date: 2005-12-21 10:46:54
Lists: pgsql-performance

Charles,

On 12/20/05 9:58 PM, "Charles Sprickman" <spork(at)bway(dot)net> wrote:

> You've given me a lot to go on... Now I'm going to have to do some
> research as to real-world RAID controller performance. It's vexing (to
> say the least) that most vendors don't supply any raw throughput or TPS
> stats on this stuff...

Take a look at this:
http://www.wlug.org.nz/HarddiskBenchmarks

> Anyhow, thanks again. You'll probably see me back here in the coming
> months as I try to shake some mysql info out of my brain as our pgsql DBA
> gets me up to speed on pgsql and what specifically he's doing to stress
> things.

Cool!

BTW - based on the above benchmark page, I just immediately ordered 2 x of
the Areca 1220 SATA controllers (
http://www.areca.com.tw/products/html/pcie-sata.htm) so that we can compare
them to the 3Ware 9550SX that we've been using. The 3Ware controllers have
been super fast on sequential access, but I'm concerned about their random
IOPs. The Areca's aren't as popular, and there's consequently less volume
of them, but people who use them rave about them.

- Luke