Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?

From: Andrew Rawnsley <andrew(dot)rawnsley(at)investoranalytics(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?
Date: 2005-11-01 14:29:50
Lists: pgsql-general

They actually did make _some_ strides. The installer actually works
consistently (knock on veneer-covered-pressboard), which is something I
haven't seen since the pre-8i text-mode installs...

Doesn't quite compare to the 5 minute untar/config/build/install/create
database cycle we're used to with PG however.

On 11/1/05 8:49 AM, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com> writes:
>> On 10/31/2005 1:14 PM, Chris Browne wrote:
>>> The fact that it appears "a joke" to people wanting to deploy big
>>> databases doesn't prevent it from taking a painful bite out of, oh,
>>> say, certain vendors that forgot to own their own transactional
>>> storage engine...
>
>> It's not a joke. It fits exactly the "small web application" needs. Who
>> will want to pay for a commercial MySQL license when they can run Oracle
>> for free?
>
> People who can't figure out how to configure Postgres are not likely to
> get far with Oracle ;-). Unless Oracle has made some *huge* strides in
> ease of installation/administration with 10g, I see this making
> practically no dent in MySQL. Or PG for that matter. All they're
> really likely to accomplish is to cannibalize some of their own low-end
> sales.
>
> regards, tom lane

Andrew Rawnsley
Chief Technology Officer