Re: For review: Server instrumentation patch

From: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: For review: Server instrumentation patch
Date: 2005-07-25 00:36:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom,

On 7/24/05 4:47 PM, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> If we went down this path at all, I'd be inclined to just deprecate
> and eventually remove server-side COPY altogether. Not sure about
> the performance costs of that, though.

Interesting problem, in practice you've got to transfer the file to the
server over the network anyway, so if the libpq copy gets fast enough it
would seem more efficient overall to use libpq copy.

On the other side, Oracle retains a true server side copy in addition to an
"external table" which maps to a file. This implies an audience for server
side copy functionality.

- Luke