Re: Japanese words not distinguished

From: Harry Mantheakis <harry(at)mantheakis(dot)freeserve(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Japanese words not distinguished
Date: 2005-07-12 18:39:17
Lists: pgsql-general

> Hmm, is that actually the correct spelling of the locale? On my Linux
> box, locale -a says it's "en_GB.utf8". I'm not sure how well initdb can
> verify the validity of a locale parameter, especially back in the 7.4
> branch. It could be that you are actually using a locale that doesn't
> use UTF8 encoding, in which case this behavior is not unheard of
> (still pretty broken, IMHO, but I've seen plenty of locale definitions
> that just fail on data outside their supported character set).

Calling "locale -a" on my Linux server also lists "en_GB.utf8".

It also lists "en_US.utf8" and yet all the related environment variables
(LC_COLLATE, etc.) indicate their locale settings is "en_US.UTF-8".

I do not know what to make of that.

> If you did correctly specify a UTF8-using locale, you probably ought to
> definition. It doesn't have to sort or case-fold random UTF8 data very
> nicely, but it certainly shouldn't report distinct strings as equal.

I'll look into that - I'm running Fedora Core 3.

Meanwhile, am I correct in assuming that re-initialising my database cluster
with "--locale=C" will solve the problem?

What is more, am I correct in assuming that I can then restore my data with
pg_restore, as prescribed in the documentation?

Kind regards

Harry Mantheakis
London, UK