Re: NOLOGGING option, or ?

From: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Alon Goldshuv" <agoldshuv(at)greenplum(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NOLOGGING option, or ?
Date: 2005-06-02 01:54:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Yep, we would _love_ those improvements.

Coming soon, probably from the guy you've never heard of :-)

> I am confused why you are confused. :-)
>
> Uh, how do you do the escapes if you don't double the escape character
> on input so you can distinguish a literal escape from one use to mark
> special data like a literal delimiter or a null?

Escape processing would proceed as before, but the semantics would change to
allow the use of different characters as the escape character, in addition
to the special characters for delimiter and newline. Also, escape
processing would be "false" as the default, so that the only special
characters by default would be the newline and delimiter characters.

Also of importance is the specification of newline and delimiter as
arbitrary double byte or 8-bit characters.

- Luke