Re: OSX 10.3.7 broke Postgresql 8.0.0b5?

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com>
To: Wes <wespvp(at)syntegra(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OSX 10.3.7 broke Postgresql 8.0.0b5?
Date: 2004-12-28 21:34:34
Lists: pgsql-general

> You shouldn't be modifying /etc/rc directly anyway. Create a startup script
> in /Library/StartupItems, or /etc/mach_init.d. I believe the latter is new
> with 10.3 and is now the preferred method. Granted, modifying /etc/rc is a
> lot easier, but you pay for it later when an update wipes out your changes
> and you beat your head against the wall trying to find the problem.

Startup items can no longer change the sysv kernel settings. I forget
whether that is a 10.2 change, or a 10.3 change, but setting them in a
startup item has no effect and hasn't for a pretty long time.

I was not aware of /etc/mach_init.d, a quick glance at the docs make it
obvious that it runs earlier than SystemStarter, looking at /etc/rc shows
that it runs not that much later than the normal settings of the sysv
parameters. Are you sure changing sysv kernel parameters at that point will
work?

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com