Re: How to determine a database is intact?

From: Wes <wespvp(at)syntegra(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to determine a database is intact?
Date: 2004-09-09 17:30:31
Lists: pgsql-general

On 9/9/04 11:07 AM, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Believe it or not, we haven't gotten many requests for this feature,
> partly because such corruption is so rare. Also, any checker isn't
> going to find a change from "Baker" to "Faker" in a text field.

Yep, unless you added a CRC (and accepted the performance hit) to each
record the best you could do is verify that the database is consistent.
That would still be quite valuable, though - all block headers are valid,
indexes don't point out into oblivion, etc.

I expect there are only a handful of huge databases running a heavy load -
the vast majority are probably tens no larger than 10's (maybe hundreds) of
megabytes, or do not experience a heavy update load?

Wes