Re: Changing from base type to inherited

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: postgres list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Changing from base type to inherited
Date: 2004-08-12 03:52:06
Lists: pgsql-general

> Can't you do something like
>
> INSERT INTO B SELECT *, some-more-values FROM A WHERE ...

Yes, that works. I didn't think of trying that because I also need to check
for existence of A and change some values in it if it exists, so I select it
into a record type, and

insert into B docrec.*, some-more-values;

does not work.

Not using the record type, instead inserting into B as per your suggestion
and immediately updating B, is a lot less code, which was what I asked for.
And in this case there couldn't possibly be a material difference in
performance, so good enough.

Would it be a reasonable feature request to ask for the ability to use
myrecord.* on a record type as a value list?

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com