Re: invalid input syntax for type tid: "(,)"

From: Craig Hockenberry <craig(at)iconfactory(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: invalid input syntax for type tid: "(,)"
Date: 2004-04-05 19:07:58
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Jose' & Tom,

I had a similar problem running on Mac OS X Server (Panther). For example:

DROP TABLE test1;
CREATE TABLE test1 (
id1 INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,
id2 INT NOT NULL,
data VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL
);

DROP TABLE test2;
CREATE TABLE test2 (
id2 INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,
data VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL
);

INSERT INTO test1 (id1, id2, data) VALUES (1, 1, 'A');
INSERT INTO test1 (id1, id2, data) VALUES (2, 1, 'B');
INSERT INTO test1 (id1, id2, data) VALUES (3, 1, 'C');
INSERT INTO test1 (id1, id2, data) VALUES (4, 2, 'D');
INSERT INTO test1 (id1, id2, data) VALUES (5, 2, 'E');
INSERT INTO test1 (id1, id2, data) VALUES (6, 2, 'F');
INSERT INTO test1 (id1, id2, data) VALUES (7, 2, 'G');
INSERT INTO test1 (id1, id2, data) VALUES (8, 3, 'H');

INSERT INTO test2 (id2, data) VALUES (1, 'z');
INSERT INTO test2 (id2, data) VALUES (2, 'y');
INSERT INTO test2 (id2, data) VALUES (3, 'x');

SELECT data FROM test1 WHERE id2 = 2;

[fails with ctid error]

SELECT test1.data FROM test1, test2 WHERE (test1.id2 = test2.id2) AND
(test1.id2 = 2)

[works as expected]

It does appear to be a problem with the ODBC 7.03.02.00 driver -- queries
passing through JDBC or psql do not exhibit the behavior. Queries were being
made against PostgreSQL 7.4.

The workaround in my case was to turn off "Updatable Cursors" in the DSN
datasource options (page 2). By default, it is enabled.

A message from Hiroshi Inoue in the archives indicates that updatable
cursors are not supported by the drive -- maybe a short term solution is to
make the default setting be disabled (or be removed completely.)

-ch