optimum postgres server configuration

From: tom dyson <tom(at)torchbox(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Neal Todd <neal(at)torchbox(dot)com>
Subject: optimum postgres server configuration
Date: 2003-07-24 15:29:38
Lists: pgsql-general

We're about to buy a new server for dedicated Postgres serving. It'll be
serving 4 - 10 databases (average dump size 20Gb) for various web
applications. What is the list's advice on optimum configuration of hardware
and software, given a smallish fixed budget (around $US 2000)? In
particular, should we prioritise

* Disk speed
* Hardware RAID
* Memory
* Processor speed
* Processor type
* Multiple processors

And does the list have any observations regarding Postgres performance on
different platforms? Our webservers run Linux (RedHat 8), but we're willing
to experiment with alternatives.

Many thanks

Tom

tom dyson