Getting the year from a date column

From: Lynna Landstreet <lynna(at)gallery44(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Getting the year from a date column
Date: 2003-07-23 21:49:54
Lists: pgsql-php

I'm having a bit of trouble with one part of the PHP front end of the art
gallery database I'm working on - specifically, extracting the year from the
start date of an exhibition. I'm trying to print a list of exhibitions on
the artist info pages, with the name, gallery space and year for each one,
and everything's working except the year part.

Here's what I have. First, near the beginning of the PHP portion of the
page:

$exh_query = "SELECT exhibition_name, start_date
FROM exhibitions WHERE exhibition_id = '$exhibition_id'";
$exhibition_info = pg_exec($db, $exh_query);

Then further down, where I want the year to appear in the exhibition list:

$date = getdate (pg_result($exhibition_info, 0, 'start_date'));
$year = $date['year'];
echo $year;

(The 0 for row is because the way the code is structured, $exhibition_info
only contains one row.) But I'm not sure if getdate() is the right function
to be using. It was the only function I could find in the PHP manual that
was capable of breaking out the individual components of a date (day, month,
year, etc.), but it seems to be ignoring the actual date in the query
results and returning '1969' for everything.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Is there a different function I should be
using instead for this? BTW, I'm using PHP 4.1 (and PostgreSQL 7.2), thus
the old-style pg function names (pg_result(), etc.).

Thanks,

Lynna
--
Resource Centre Database Coordinator