Urgent: 10K or more connections

From: Francois Suter <dba(at)paragraf(dot)ch>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Urgent: 10K or more connections
Date: 2003-07-18 15:00:57
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

I have received a question via the Advocacy site and I am not knowledgeable
enough to answer. Can you help?

The question is: can PostgreSQL handle between 10'000 and 40'000
simultaneous connections? The persone asking the question has to choose
between Oracle and PostgreSQL, and my guess is that they would be relieved
if they could go with PostgreSQL.

Do you have any additional advice I could transmit to this person about
handling that many connections. I'm sure any help we can provide will be an
additional selling point.

Thanks.

--------
Francois

Home page: http://www.monpetitcoin.com/
"We waste our time spending money we don't have to buy things we don't need
to impress people we don't like"