Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion

From: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch
Cc: teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion
Date: 2007-02-22 17:45:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > And users are constantly complaining that PostgreSQL doesn't have
> > fulltext indexing capabilities (if they don't know about tsearch2) or
> > about how hard it is to use tsearch2.
> >
> >> SELECT create_fulltext_mapping(cfgname, ARRAY['lex..','..'],
> >> ARRAY['...']) is readable.
> >
> > Hardly. Because it's not like SQL:
>
>I have to agree here.
>
>SELECT create_fulltext_mapping(cfgname, ARRAY['lex..','..'],
>ARRAY['...']) is readable.
>
>Is a total no op. We might as well just leave it in contrib.

I am for integration tsearch to core, why not. But I don't see reason for
special syntax. Stored procedures is exactly good tool for it.

Fulltext is standarised in SQL/MM, SQL Multimedia and Application Packages,
Part 2: Full-Text

Why implement extensive proprietary solution? If our soulution is
proprietary, then so it is simple and cheap and doesn't complicate future
conformance with ANSI SQL.

Regards
Pavel Stehule

Najdete si svou lasku a nove pratele na Match.com. http://www.msn.cz/