GSoC 2015: Introduction and Doubt regarding a Project.

From: hitesh ramani <hiteshramani(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: GSoC 2015: Introduction and Doubt regarding a Project.
Date: 2015-03-17 14:26:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,
I introduced myself on the pgsql-students list but just to introduce here too, my name is Hitesh Ramani, I'm a student of Hyderabad Central University, Hyderabad, India. Currently I'm pursuing a project in PostgreSQL as my Post Graduation project hence I've hacked into the Postgres code a lot of times to add some functionalities to it, specifically to the sorting code. I'm also familiar with the query processing and backend internals.
I had a few doubts, which I need to ask and start on the proposal as soon as possible because the applications have opened.
1. As I did some research on this project, I found date_trunc() supporting intervals‏ was suggested last year but not selected as a GSoC project. Is it being floated this year too(as mentioned on the GSoC 2015 wiki page of Postgres)? If yes, what are the exact expected outputs?
2. Can I send a proposal for 2 projects to Postgres itself? Out of which one can be taken forward.
3. Does PG Strom take care of sorting as well on the GPUs?
Thanks and Regards,Hitesh Ramani