Re: Creating multiple database at runtime in postgresql

From: Julio Leyva <jcleyva(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <manasi(dot)save(at)artificialmachines(dot)com>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Creating multiple database at runtime in postgresql
Date: 2010-12-02 14:11:40
Lists: pgsql-admin

Probably what you need is to have a different schemes instead

From: manasi(dot)save(at)artificialmachines(dot)com
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 04:35:25 -0500

Dear All,

I am new to postgresql database. I want to create an architecture wherein I want
to create multiple databases at runtime. To be more description about the
purpose, for example

I am creating an account using any application which has postgresql as a
backend. I want to create a new database for every user who is creating account
then whenever the user login he will be login to his database. I have such kind
of setup in MySQL but I would really like to know is it a good idea to have such
kind of setup and is it possible in postgresql.

As whenever I create a database in MySQL it gets stored on my hard disk these
are file level operations if we use mysql MyIsAM storage engine.

Is it possible to create postgresql database using postgresql stored
functions/

Is it possible to have 1000,000 databases on a server?

Please let me know if anyone needs more information on what I am trying to
implement.

Any input will be a great help.

Regards,

Manasi