Re: Question regarding blocking locks

From: "Kevin Keith" <kevinrkeith(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question regarding blocking locks
Date: 2005-08-26 11:59:10
Lists: pgsql-admin
The version of Postgres is 7.4.

When I said the process had terminated abnormally - what I meant was a UNIX
process (C program) had opened a database connection, run some updates
without a COMMIT and then exited without closing the connection to the
database or committing the transactions.

From what I see below, could I assume that the best method is to kill the
offending process in UNIX, and then postmaster should recognize there was a
problem and restart the database. Correct?

Thanks,

Kevin

>From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
>Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Question regarding blocking locks Date: Thu, 25 Aug
>2005 12:08:11 -0400
>
>"Kevin Keith" <kevinrkeith(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> > I have a question regarding blocking locks in the pg database. I ran
>into a
> > process which terminated abnormally, and to fully clear the locks it
>left
> > behind I had to reboot the system (probably restarting postmaster would
>have
> > had the same effect).
>
>Define "terminated abnormally".  You really aren't going to get helpful
>answers without giving full details of what happened.  (If the
>postmaster thought the backend had crashed, it would have forced a
>database restart which would have wiped shared memory.  So it's not
>clear from your comment what did happen.)
>
>Also, exactly which PG version is this?
>
>			regards, tom lane

>TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee