Re: Question regarding blocking locks

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Keith" <kevinrkeith(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question regarding blocking locks
Date: 2005-08-25 16:08:11
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Kevin Keith" <kevinrkeith(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> I have a question regarding blocking locks in the pg database. I ran into a
> process which terminated abnormally, and to fully clear the locks it left
> behind I had to reboot the system (probably restarting postmaster would have
> had the same effect).

Define "terminated abnormally". You really aren't going to get helpful
answers without giving full details of what happened. (If the
postmaster thought the backend had crashed, it would have forced a
database restart which would have wiped shared memory. So it's not
clear from your comment what did happen.)

Also, exactly which PG version is this?