Installation problem

From: "John" <xiaoqianjiang(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Installation problem
Date: 2006-03-02 23:18:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I got an installation problem. There was an old copy of postgres installed but I want to
install the modified postgres. I get problems related to locating "/usr/local/pgsql/data".

I tried:
[postgres(at)austin ~]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale en_US.UTF-8.
The default database encoding has accordingly been set to UNICODE.

initdb: directory "/usr/local/pgsql/data" exists but is not empty
If you want to create a new database system, either remove or empty
the directory "/usr/local/pgsql/data" or run initdb
with an argument other than "/usr/local/pgsql/data".

Then it does not run correctly after I start the server:
pg_ctl start -w -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

[postgres(at)austin pgsql]$ psql -U postgres uiuc

Type: \copyright for distribution terms
\h for help with SQL commands
\? for help with psql commands
\q to quit

uiuc=# \d
before or while processing the request.
!> \q
[postgres(at)austin pgsql]$

I realized that it might because I used the old
*/usr/local/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf* and it does not work for the new
one. Then I tried to build a new directory for data, I used following
comments to build a new data directory but it end up in a segmentation
faulty. Do you have any suggestion on it? Thanks a lot.

[postgres(at)austin ~]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/dbdata
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale en_US.UTF-8.
The default database encoding has accordingly been set to UNICODE.

fixing permissions on existing directory /usr/local/pgsql/dbdata ... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/dbdata/global ... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/dbdata/pg_xlog ... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/dbdata/pg_xlog/archive_status ... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/dbdata/pg_clog ... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/dbdata/pg_subtrans ... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/dbdata/base ... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/dbdata/base/1 ... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/dbdata/pg_tblspc ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 100
selecting default shared_buffers ... 1000
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in /usr/local/pgsql/dbdata/base/1 ... ok
initializing pg_shadow ... ok
enabling unlimited row size for system tables ... ok
initializing pg_depend ... sh: line 1: 24405 Segmentation fault
"/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres" -F -O -c search_path=pg_catalog -c
exit_on_error=true template1 >/dev/null
child process exited with exit code 139
initdb: removing contents of data directory "/usr/local/pgsql/dbdata"

Anyone can give me an idea? Thanks a lot.

Best wishes,
Xiaoqian