autocommit and transactions

From: "Sally Sally" <dedeb17(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: autocommit and transactions
Date: 2004-12-01 18:09:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Using perl DBI I recently read that if autocommit is turned on, it does a
commit after every transaction. I wanted to confirm if this also applies to
select statements.
When I'm loading data, I need to do a select before inserting a new row and
I don't want to commit after the select because it's unnecessary. So I am
thinking of turning off the autocommit. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Sally