Re: Usability improvment ideas

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: "Belbin, Peter" <Peter(dot)Belbin(at)paetec(dot)com>, Bob McConnell <rvm(at)cbord(dot)com>, "gabriele(dot)garuglieri(at)infoblu(dot)it" <gabriele(dot)garuglieri(at)infoblu(dot)it>, "bneuhauser(at)real(dot)com" <bneuhauser(at)real(dot)com>, "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Usability improvment ideas
Date: 2011-05-16 07:57:22
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 8:52 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> Le 05/13/2011 06:03 PM, Dave Page a écrit :
>> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 5:41 PM, Belbin, Peter <Peter(dot)Belbin(at)paetec(dot)com> wrote:
>>> Just an observation..... :)
>>>

>>> With the 1.14 stream of pgadmin3, I notice that the dialog for creation of columns moves the type to a different tab than the name, requiring much more work to create the columns.
>>
>> That does seem like a usability regression Guillaume. Can you look at
>> that please?
>
> Yeah, but it means we'll lose the consistency. I know it doesn't feel
> right, but if we allow the type to be on the first tab, we'll get lots
> of request for that kind of thing for $object.

I'm normally the first guy to bleat about consistency, but this really
does feel like a big regression in usability to me - this is one of
the few (the only?) dialog that people are likely to open over and
over again when creating another object. We already know that is
cumbersome (that's why there's a complete redesign of the table
dialogue on the TODO) - this will make it worse.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company