Re: Switching Database Engines

From: Carlos Mennens <carlos(dot)mennens(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Switching Database Engines
Date: 2011-04-26 20:41:19
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Alban Hertroys
<dalroi(at)solfertje(dot)student(dot)utwente(dot)nl> wrote:
> I don't know much about mediawiki (except for how to use it), but it's not unusual for modern web-apps to have some functionality to dump their contents in a consistently formatted file (often XML) that it can subsequently import into a new environment. Might be worth looking into.

Yes MediaWiki can dump pages into XML but that's what scares me. It
does it in pages so I would have to dump every Wiki page into a
separate XML file rather than doing one huge Wiki dump. I guess I need
to check the MediaWiki forums and find out how I can export everything
into XML. But lets say I do export every thing to XML. Now I have XML
file(s) and a new database for MediaWiki. How do I get all the old
data on the new server? Do I do a fresh install 1st and let the
installer configure my database as the assigned role, then import the
XML data through the MediaWiki tool? I guess I should check their
forums.