Re: Switching Database Engines

From: Alban Hertroys <dalroi(at)solfertje(dot)student(dot)utwente(dot)nl>
To: Carlos Mennens <carlos(dot)mennens(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Switching Database Engines
Date: 2011-04-26 20:34:47
Lists: pgsql-general

On 26 Apr 2011, at 19:24, Carlos Mennens wrote:

> We've been using a Wiki server at the office for years. It was
> originally configured to use MySQL and finally after 8+ years we're
> moving the Wiki to a new platform of hardware. My question is the Wiki
> software (MediaWiki) is the only thing still tied to and using MySQL
> which we want to decommission but we've been using it for years so I'm
> worried we will lose the data. I've done some Google'ing to find out
> how can I change the MySQL database dump and successfully export it
> into my new PostgreSQL database however I don't know how practical or
> recommended this process is. I found sites like the following:

I don't know much about mediawiki (except for how to use it), but it's not unusual for modern web-apps to have some functionality to dump their contents in a consistently formatted file (often XML) that it can subsequently import into a new environment. Might be worth looking into.

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:737,4db72c7511671681815569!