Re: Branch 1.14?

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, Jasmin Dizdarevic <jasmin(dot)dizdarevic(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Branch 1.14?
Date: 2011-06-15 10:11:19
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:57, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>>> We don't have both. We currently have a pgAdmin which supports
>>> everything back to 7.3.
>>
>> No we don't. We have a pgAdmin, which it says on the website supports
>> back to 7.3. I know I haven't run anything older than 8.0 for *years*,
>> and certainly the QA guys at EDB don't. I don't believe Erwin does
>> either. Therefore I don't believe we can honestly say we support back
>> to 7.3.
>
> Didn't we at some point say it's reasonable to support as far back as
> the pg community support postgresql, which would mean 8.2 at this
> point?

Yes, I'm pretty sure we did. And in fact, from pgAdmin3.h:

// Supported server minimum and maximum values.
const short SERVER_MIN_VERSION_N = 0x0802;
const wxString SERVER_MIN_VERSION_T = wxT("8.2");
const short SERVER_MAX_VERSION_N = 0x0901;
const wxString SERVER_MAX_VERSION_T = wxT("9.1");

> As long as we keep the downloads for the older versions around, people
> who are running an unsupported version of postgresql should be ok
> running an unsupported version of pgadmin,no?

Right.

I think what Guillaume is suggesting though is not that we keep saying
7.3 is supported, but that we don't remove code that's there to
support older versions than we don't currently support. On the other
hand, I'm saying we're not actively doing that, but if someone wants
to do so, or if we want to simplify things when working on a
particular piece of code, then removing the support for older versions
is acceptable.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com