Re: simple update query too long

From: F T <oukile(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: simple update query too long
Date: 2011-05-13 07:07:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks for your ideas.

I have rerun my tests and I agree with Merlin, PostgreSQL is not adapted at
all to handle wide updates.

Test 1 :
UPDATE grille SET inter=0; -> It tooks 10 hours

Test 2 :
I remove the spatial Gist index, and the constraints : I just keep the
primary key.
UPDATE grille SET inter=0; -> it tooks 6 hours.

This is better but it is still not acceptable.

And if I run CREATE TABLE test AS SELECT * FROM grille, it only takes 11
seconds, incredible...

Fabrice