Re: Re: database system identifier differs between the primary and standby

From: Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, rajibdk <rajib(dot)deka(at)siemens(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: database system identifier differs between the primary and standby
Date: 2011-04-21 16:26:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 6:38 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 10:31 AM, rajibdk <rajib(dot)deka(at)siemens(dot)com> wrote:
>>> What does that database system identifier means? Is it related to DB
>>> transactions’ or unique to a version?
>>
>> Regrettably, it means you didn't follow the documented procedure.
>>
>> It isn't possible to do it any other way, so those questions are a distraction.
>
> I think they are perfectly good questions.  If someone is trying to
> understand how our product works, we should encourage that.

Agree those are perfectly good question to ask on -general. (but on
hackers it looks excessive)
Rajib: this is relative to initdb, it produces one key to be able to
check later if postgresql is restoring the good files.
(
from sources :
/*
* Unique system identifier --- to ensure we match up xlog files with the
* installation that produced them.
*/
)

Robert, Please don't add confusion to your signature : PostgreSQL is a
community project not an enterprise product.