Re: PANIC while doing failover (streaming replication)

From: Mikko Partio <mpartio(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PANIC while doing failover (streaming replication)
Date: 2011-07-01 11:00:35
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-12/msg01335.php
> According to the above thread, this issue seems to exist for a few years,
> and be unsolved yet. Could you provide a self-contained test case?

I can try ...

In related to this, after the failover we got several other worrying
messages in the log.

During vacuums lots of these:

WARNING: relation "pg_largeobject" page 5333088 is uninitialized --- fixing

For several different tables. I gather that since these are mere WARNINGs
they do not affect the server functionality or data integrity? Then, for one
table we got:

ERROR: unexpected chunk number 2 (expected 0) for toast value 4398162 in
pg_toast_1247555

which is quite worrying since we had to restore that table from backups. Are
these errors caused by the PANIC'd shutdown or are they a symptom of
something else. The servers are quite new and no server crashes have
happened.

Regards

Mikko