[PERFORMANCE] expanding to SAN: which portion best to move

From: Willy-Bas Loos <willybas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [PERFORMANCE] expanding to SAN: which portion best to move
Date: 2011-05-03 15:52:23
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

Hi,

Our database has gotten rather large and we are running out of disk space.
our disks are 15K rpm SAS disks in RAID 10.

We are going to rent some space on a FibreChannel SAN.
That gives us the opportunity to separate the data and the indexes.
Now i thought it would be best to move the indexes to the SAN and leave the
data on the disks, since the disks are better at sequential I/O and the SAN
will have lots of random I/O since there are lots of users on it.

Is that a wise thing to do?

Cheers,

WBL

--
"Patriotism is the conviction that your country is superior to all others
because you were born in it." -- George Bernard Shaw